Friday, April 29, 2005

29/04/2005

“Do you have any hobbies?” My favorite question. It is asked by a small blond girl. Before I can answer the teacher completes the question. “Besides taking photos off course.” I want to kick her. But that wouldn’t be a good idea in front of this class of sweet boys and girls. The girls sit at the left side of the room, the boys at the right side. They are terribly shy, the boys. Keep their lips tightly closed. The girls are also shy but too curious. They ask girls-questions. “What is your favorite colour?” “What is your favorite food?” “ Do you have pets?” “What is your favorite month?” Difficult questions. Well, not the one about the pets though.

Next week I will go to Holland. I asked the children from the Slovak and the Hungarian primary school what they want to know about my country, my city or myself. They can ask anything. But just one question each. In Holland I will film the answers. They gave me a long list.
“Why don’t the Dutch people like soup?” A question always reflects the person asking the question. Or in this case, not just a person but a whole nation. The Hungarians eat soup every day. A meal without soup isn’t a real meal. Therefore people who don’t eat soup every day, don’t eat properly.
Another one: “Did you ever meet Edgar Davids?” This must be a boy. Just like the one asking “King William III had a daughter, her name was Wilma. Is there a street in Holland named after her?” A special interest in history. He must be spending his pocket money on books. Reading stories about knights and kings and heroes. And he isn’t the only one. “Are there any statues in Amsterdam showing kings or national heroes?”
Some kids are interested in nature. “Are there sharks in the Northsea?” Or about me. “Did you ever smoke soft drugs?” Curious little bastards. “What are your hobbies?” Again.

The teacher prepared them well. She asks the children what they know about Holland. I hear some interesting stuff. How most people in Amsterdam live in a “boathouse”. How we eat mainly fastfood. How there is a windmill in every village and city. They tell me about their country too. The teachers asks about their traditional food. The children hesitate. “What do you like to eat?” she tries again. Two of the girls answer simultaneously: “Pizza!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home